On the other side of the hair in front, I made puff braids with lots of sections. Pretty simple really. I didn't have white elastics, but considered using some white ribbon to do stripes.
I haven't had this problem before, but a few of the elastics broke. You can see the places they should be... Anyway, there is a third row here. I thought it would look neat to make rows all the way across the back and then pull it all together into a low side ponytail/bun. We ended up tossing everything up into a messy bun and then I stuck a few pipe cleaners randomly into it. They stayed on their own just fine!